Sunday, October 12, 2008

What's Your Sign?

Because of the vast number of signs posted here which have interesting, if not at times, questionable meanings or interpretations, I thought it appropriate to dedicate this next post to German signs!

This says, in German, Kein Trinkwasser (not drinking water)...
...Upon closer evaluation, I hardly think the sign necessary - everything but the kitchen sink is in this fountain!

Two interesting signs here: One telling you that your dog must be on a leash (there are dogs EVERYWHERE here, and I do mean everywhere: the train, the bus, the department store, the restaurant...for the most part they are very well behaved!) The other we find very interesting, and they exist in abundance, and, as you can see from the sign's illustrative message, this is not the place for puppy poo poo!
Although, at first glance, this sign may seem to read no women or children, it really means that no one is to walk here!
Yes, Mary made her way across the pond and is here with us in Germany!
This is a sign on a shopping cart.  One must insert either a .50 or 1 Euro coin to use this cart!  Yes, it is refunded when you return the cart to its proper place with its compatriots!  
Another interesting thing about the carts here is that the wheels, all four of them, roll in every direction, so you can easily move your cart directly to the left or right out of the way!

Several other interesting things we have encountered here, but have not yet gotten to take pictures of, are a no smoking sign existing directly above the ground littered with innumerable cigarette butts, and likely several people currently smoking - these locations are numerous, and the view upon a visit to a public restroom in the city.  Urine town IS a place (for those musical theatre fans out there) and we now live in it.  When you want to use a restroom in a store or public place, as you approach, you'll notice a woman, frequently wearing rubber gloves, seated at a table which is occupied by a plate (and often some fake plant or other "decoration") which contains several coins.  When you exit the restroom, it is expected that you pay the cleaning lady.  Because we think this is RIDICULOUS, Sidonie and I try to avoid such bathrooms.  On several occasions, however I have been forced to visit such a bathroom.  On one occasion, I put .20 in the plate, but as I left the woman removed it so there were only .50 pieces visible!  On another occasion, I had to go when at the central train station.  There system is a bit more high tech - there is a carousel, and you have to pay a machine .60! in order to even enter the restroom (needless to say, you can bet I was sure to take my time and wash my hands with as much of their water as I so desired!)  Well, I guess we know one musical that won't be making its way across the Atlantic!

As for an update on our lives here...Sidonie is doing very well in school, and has been complimented by several teachers (and many of the students) on her rapid acquisition of the German language as well as her skill as a performer.  Sid gave her first presentation in German this past week to roars of encouragement (literally, we have it on film!)  She was also very proud that her jazz teacher complimented her improved flexibility (her torso was nearly on the floor in her straddle stretch!)

My job is going well.  I have many substitute classes now, as well as one that is permanent.  I have also found out that there is an audition coming up for a musical that performs here in Hamburg (Ich War Noch Niemals In New York - a review of a popular German song writer's work.)  I didn't find out about the audition in time to schedule an audition slot by the deadline, but I have requested an audition and we are praying that God will give us favor with the casting agents for the show and help me get an audition (and hopefully a job) there!

In other news...Sidonie's school, because of its connection with Stage Entertainment, gets free tickets to all the premiers of shows SE produces for all its students!!!  Soooo, Sidonie and I got to go see the German Premier of an ORIGINAL work called Ich Will Spaß (I Want Fun!)  (I got to go because some of her colleagues were sick and couldn't go - sad for them, but a blessing for me!)  The piece is a story written around a German Pop Star's Music from the 1980s!  So, that's right, all the clothes, makeup and hairstyles were from the 80s!  What fun.  Below are some pics of us at the pre-premier party!  There were a lot of famous people and German musical theatre stars at the premier, but, as we didn't recognize any of them, we were not google-eyed!  It got out while preparing for the event, that I was a makeup designer, and I was commissioned to do several of the girls' makeup for the premier party!  Sidonie also got hit up to help with makeup AND style her Brazilian colleague's hair!  Fun times all around :)

Our friend, Evelyn, getting her makeup done.
And now for the blush...
Finished product on our friend, Nina!
Sidonie and me at the premier party!  Woohoo (it was such fun!) We ended up with tickets for the FRONT ROW, by the way!!!
From L-R, Sidonie, Evelyn, Lara (Sidonie did her makeup and hair,) and Luisa (Sid did her makeup too!,) looking good and ready for the show to start!


In domestic life, we're settling into life in Glinde and getting used to the flow of things here (bus schedules, grocery market hours [and selection], etc.)

A typical grocery store outing for us: Gnocchi, Tomatoes, Onions, Peppers, Cucumber, Avocados, Dates, Plums and Kiwi!  Oh, and of course, Laugenbrezel!

Well, that's all for now!

Tschüß (look what I learned how to do! - not too hard on my Mac!)

What to look for in upcoming posts: Detailed accounts of my many trips to the foreigners office in an effort to obtain my work permit!  Love to all from Deutschland!

1 comment:

david santos said...

Great posting!
Good photos. Congratulations!!!
Have a nice week.