Thursday, November 20, 2008

Quick German Funny...

I know I don't usually post in the middle of the week (and don't get used to it because it won't happen often!) but I simply HAD to tell all of you something funny that happened at church on Sunday, and this is the first available moment I've had to write.  

Before I get to the funny, though, a quick update on life here.  All is still well.  We're taking it one step at a time and seeing what God has for us next.  I'm still teaching English, and have an interview with a theatrical prop-building firm in Hamburg the first week of Dec.  I may also have an audition that week for another show - we'll see.  I am calling this afternoon to see if I can get Sidonie's passport updated to include the year long residency/study permit (I found out yesterday that my work permit should automatically allow Sid to stay.)  The office that handles it, of course, is the one in Bad Oldesloe - the one that takes 2 hours to reach!  Hopefully I'll be able to go tomorrow and take care of everything at once.  ONE trip would be much nicer than three or four!

In other news, Sidonie and I got to see Der König Der Löwen (The Lion King) for free last night!  One of Sid's professors is the pianist for the show, and got us free tickets!   It was loads of fun!  The costumes and puppets were just as amazing in motion as they look like they would be when you see them in pictures!  We had all sorts of amazing animal creations walking (or flying) right down the aisle beside us!  Yay for going to school at the premier production company in Europe - great perks!

So, now to the funny story...

As I believe I've mentioned, we sing about half our worship songs at church in English with German translations under the English text on the screen, and the other half, the other way around.  At times we've encountered some slight Malapropisms in the English translations, but none quite so drastic, or amusing, as the one on Sunday. 

The song went something like this:

We praise You, We lift You up
Almost High, Almost High!

As you can imagine, the first time we saw this we burst into laughter (thankfully it was a loud song!)  Unfortunately, for us, this was part of the chorus, so we sang it again, and again, and again...!  Needless to say, Sidonie and I were very grateful when we moved on to the next song!

For those of you not quite awake when reading this:

"Almost High" sounds quite a lot like "Oh Most High," but has a VERY different meaning!!

Here's to language faux pas!

2 comments:

Kelley said...

Oh goodness, that's so funny. I'm going to send you a hilarious forward we just got last week...I think you'll get a kick out it...

Kelley said...

Oops...I went to go send you this forward but I don't think I have your email address! Could you have your mom pass it my way? Thanks!