Saturday, November 15, 2008

Work Permit

Just a brief update to let all of you know our current status here...  

One is permitted to reside in Germany as a "tourist" for up to three months with nothing but one's Passport (Pass - in German.)  That time is running out for us! (We arrived on August 22.)  Also, one is not permitted to work without having a work permit.  I started working in mid October, but my work permit had not gone through yet when pay day rolled around at the first of November.  Thankfully, my job agreed to pay me based on the high likelihood that my permit request would be approved.  They did let me know that they would only be able to do that for one month because after that time they could get in serious trouble with the government if they employed a person who was without a permit to work!  We have been praying and trusting that God would work out whatever bureaucratic knots had to be straightened out for me to get my permit.

As a bit of a backstory, I have visited the Ausländerbehörde (foreigner's office) 3 times.  The office is outside Hamburg, and takes about two hours travel from our flat.  After waiting in line at the office and waiting for the train back home, we're talking about a full day used up!  Finally, I was told by the lady "helping" me at the Ausländerbehörde to wait three weeks to call and check on the status of my permit, but when I called, I was told that the foreigner's office was not the right place since I was working as a private contractor, and the office I should visit was just across the street from our flat!  WHAT!???!  

I visited the Rathaus (Town hall) across the street, and noted that they were closed on Tuesdays, and I would have to return on Wednesday.  When I finally spoke with someone there, she told me that they couldn't help me here in Glinde, and that I would have to visit the Ausländerbehörde!  Seeing a pattern here?  I let her know that I would NOT be visiting the Ausländerbehörde again, as I had already used up 3 entire days in this pursuit!  She said that she could mail my information to the office and that I would have it back in about a week.  I said that would be FINE!

Well, long story short(er,) I got my package yesterday!  The only problem was that I needed 55 Euro in cash to pay the postman in order to get my letter from him!!!!  Of course I didn't have that much cash, so he told me that I could pick it up in the morning at the post office - I was sure to ask WHICH post office and he assured me the one downstairs!

I went and picked up my letter today, and guess what I found?  I have a permit to stay in Germany and work as a Sprachlehrer (language teacher) for a full year!!!  Woohoo!  I have to check, but I think this also means that Sidonie is guaranteed a study permit for that length of time as well!  I'll keep you posted on that.  Praise God for His provision!

Sorry no pictures this time, just some great news!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Thats AWESOME! God is soooo good! :)

Kelley said...

Yay! Praise the Lord!

I have to laugh and feel sorry for you all at the same time seeing how long it can take to get something done. Living in a people-oriented country has enlightened me into how time-oriented I really am! Anyway, when Jonathan has spent all day trying to get only a few things accomplished (because everything is done at a slow pace here) he says "ah, I'm having a Brazilian day".

annie said...

Hallelujah and praise the Lord :) How exciting to finally get that taken care of....and you get to keep getting paid! :)

Laura :) said...

Fabulous news! Congrats!

XOXO
Laura :)