Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Pictoral Tour

Hi guys!

I mentioned earlier that I'd post some pics of me around the different places once I got them from my colleague. So, here are some of those catch-up pics:


Poking my head through a "Swiss Cheese" wall at IceBar.


My "blue steel" look (from Zoolander for those asking themselves "WHAT?")


The four actors and the director (L-R: Michael, Nichole, Sam-our director, Amy, Yours Truly!) We went bowling together our last night in Soest, the town we rehearsed in. I had not lost all my bowling prowess, let me tell you! ;)


Me with the statue of "The Little Mermaid" in København.


Me at the beach in Sweden. We were in a small fishing village called Råå.



Me in the AWFUL rain and whipping wind in front of Hamlet's Castle in Denmark.

After getting leaving Sweden/Denmark, we have been playing in the extreme NW of Germany. We've played in Flensburg, Kiel, and several other VERY SMALL towns. When I was teaching English in HH last year, I often corrected students who told me they came from very small German villages, saying that "village" was not a term we would use in industrialized western nations, but was something we might use to describe the dwellings of a tribal community... Well, seeing some of these "Kleinstädte" makes me re-consider, as some of these places almost fit the village qualifications!

Here are some pictures from some of the small towns (and slightly bigger ones) we've visited lately:

Our lodging in one of our very small towns...


...inside there was a jungle! There were two of these plants which were hung from either side of the room and met in the middle of the ceiling! CRAZY!!


In this small town, many of the roofs were made of thatch which I found quaint and cute!


I also found the opening hours of most of the businesses quaint and not quite so cute! I went to pick up some groceries at the ONE grocery store in town, and it was closed (apparently for lunch) from 1 PM - 3 PM. I came back at 3!


There was also a pasture (in someone's front yard) with several different sizes, shapes and colors of horses! This one took particular interest in my camera!



In another small town, we found this house that was practically overgrown with climbing vines.


In another small town, I talked with the proprietor of a second-hand shop (God seems to know that I love second-hand shopping as I've found thrift stores in practically every town we've been to!) about the things to see in the area, and she told me of a little lake (which, ironically, is called "See" in German) nearby which had a small island with artist's shops. This was the small shop of a potter - she was making a bowl when I poked my head in - very cool!


Also on the Artist's island.


They also say "SUAY" here in Europe, apparently, although I would doubt very seriously if any pigs would come running were they to hear it! ;)


A steeple in Kiel.


More of the same, except with the half moon peeking out from the clouds :)


Love and Hugs to all of you - miss you!

8 comments:

Kelley said...

Great pictures! I really like the pictures of the quaint houses and shops. They have so much character!

Thanks for your great ideas regarding my candles, etc!

s i d. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
s i d. said...

Hi! Man, Denmark sure does do crazy things to your hair!;). Nice to see YOU in your blog this week. Keep the pretty pictures coming! Miss you!

s i d. said...

By the way, how on earth do you pronounce "Råå" ?

Christopher Ryan said...

Well, it's actually pronounced a bit like the man's name "Ray" (with a German-esque 'r' sound, of course!)

Corey said...

Loved the Hamlet Castle!!! I'm sure it was breath taking! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving away from home and your sweet wife :)

Ma said...

BEAUTIFUL photos, as usual :~)!!! I love the one of the house with the vines almost covering it. It looks like a mushroom :~).
Funny story about the grocery store, and a great one about the the second-hand shops. Did you get a photo of the island with the small shops?
I'm so thankful that God is allowing you to see all these things and share them with us! LOVE YOU BUNCHES!

Christopher Ryan said...

I didn't actually take a picture of the lake, as it wasn't very pretty ;) But, the little pottery shop was on the island.